Sunday, February 24, 2013

Excerpt from the Journal of Endless Nightmares

                                                                            Day Five
            This is the fifth morning here. I have written less and less, realizing that when I awake, what I logged the day before has vanished. This journal is a taunting little puke sitting on a perch that is just out of reach, reminding me that it gets even worse: my memory is still void of any knowledge of who I am or my past. This is no dream… I live the day here, imprisoned in this wretched, forsaken pit, alone with this journal. What I am writing with is a crude, bumpy black pen that is attached on a crimson ribbon to the worn binding of the aged leather journal.
            A bucket sits every morning waiting in the corner. Inside is what I am given each day for food: moldy bread, aged fruit, and a large, earthen jug of filmy water that has a metallic taste. I have no other amenities besides that wooden, copper rimmed bucket. I never see how the bucket comes and goes, but it is there, as I left it the night before. On the first full day, I used it as a toilet three or four times before I feel asleep. I learned after that restless night that whoever tends to me never cleans the bucket. Now I only use it as a seat.
            I still have not seen anyone from above… I still have not heard any other noises besides my own… I still have no fucking idea about… anything.
            My back is against the bright, warm spot of sun that casts upon the rock walls of the cell. It must be getting close to dark. The shadows are beginning to creep up my toes, engulfing the warmth from the days light. The headaches have been constant all day, but they are worse when I think about sleeping, and even more so when I lay down. For someone reason, I feel like I must have more than what my body needs for rest. That reminds me…
             These nightmares could attribute to why I am not sleeping. The one I had last night…

No comments:

Post a Comment